VIN numbers
Karl
2005-07-29 20:40:03 UTC
Hello everybody

Can anybody tell me what year they started stamping the VIN number onto the
body of the car. I know older cars only had the VIN plate either on the
front cross member or on the R/H inner wing.

Thanks

Karl
Steve68s
2005-07-29 21:11:24 UTC
1959, it was stamped into the drivers side footwell then, later minis have
it in the drain channel left side above the bulk head, some dont have them
at all for one reason or other, the vin plate its self is not required if
the car was made before 1st August 1980.

Steve.
Karl
Howard Rose
2005-07-31 18:47:50 UTC
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:11:24 +0100, "Steve68s"
Post by Steve68s
1959, it was stamped into the drivers side footwell then
That was the body number, it should begin with L. There are also a
couple of "FE" numbers dotted around the car (passenger footwell and
inner wing) but these are largely irrelevant.

My 1962 car did have the chassis number (just the numbers) stamped
into the cross bar on the drivers side (the one welded to the
bulkhead), but my 1964 does not.
--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
http://www.howard81.co.uk/ (cars on website)
eecslsz21
2010-12-06 21:00:33 UTC
responding to http://www.motorsforum.com/mini_cooper/VIN-numbers-735-.htm
eecslsz21 wrote:
HI i need information about my motorbike i found the vin
but its only 9 digit *5m6-078014*
what is the year of 78 or 80?
plz help
ps sry for the "motorcycle in car topic mistake" and sry for my english

Delivered via http://www.motorsforum.com
Automotive Communit
alt.autos.mini - 5624 messages and counting

Chris
2005-07-30 21:02:31 UTC
The VIN number as we know it today (17 digit) has been stamped onto the
scuttle of the car since these type of VIN numbers were issued. With mini's
I think it tends to be around late '79 or '80. A mini with the VIN stamped
into the scuttle will always have the large VIN plate riveted to the l/h
inner wing as you look at the engine bay from the front of the car - well it
should! It should also have paint and interior codes too.
Older mini's also have a body number on the r/h inner wing as you look
at it under the bonnet along with a 'Car No' plate on the slam panel. Like
an official VIN number but more used by the manufacturer to trace parts,
s/h, production date etc. There is often another plate on the slam panel,
sometimes detailing whether seat belts have been fitted and what type.
Pickup's and Van's also have a weighting plate which shouldn't really be
removed. It has the vehicle's max gross weight stamped on it. I'm not sure
but I have been told an MOT can be refused to a vehicle with this removed.
Prob not an issue nowadays as most are used for leisure.

Chris
Karl
ln1gaw
2005-08-01 08:54:14 UTC
I have a 1978 (S Reg) Mini Clubman with the VIN located on a plate on the
front cross member. After much searching I couldn't find any VIN stamped
on the body work so I had to pay to have one stamped to get the car
registered in Holland where it is compulsory.